Start a Laundry and Dry Cleaning Business in Nigeria – You will agree with me that in our busy schedules, the task of washing, rinsing, starching and ironing our clothes has become quiet tedious and time consuming. For that reason alone, the laundry business has become another lucrative venture in Nigeria. So are you thinking of investing your money in the laundry and dry cleaning business in Nigeria? You just made a wise choice! And guess what? To start the business is not as capital challenging as we all think it is. You can actually start the business in the comfort of your home with just the basic needed equipment and materials. But just before you run off to startup your own dry cleaning business, here are a few factors you might just want to put into consideration.
Training: Have you noticed there is always a difference with the way we do our laundry to the professional touch somebody who offers laundry services does? So I advise you go and learn from an already existing laundry business. Learn the following:
- How to wash different fabrics
- How to dry clean different fabrics
- How to iron and what heat temperature works for different fabrics
- Folding and Packaging
- Time management
- Business management
- That extra smooth touch
The success of your laundry and dry cleaning business in Nigeria partly depends on how well you can perform. So go through training first.
Note – There is a difference between laundry and dry cleaning. Laundry involves washing clothes using water and detergent while dry cleaning is cleaning clothes using chemicals (no water)
Register Your Business with the Corporate Affairs Commission Nigeria: Before you render any laundry or dry cleaning services to the public make sure you register your business. It does not matter that you are still operating from your home and probably doing only house to house services. Get registered!
Business Location: The location of your laundry and dry cleaning business in Nigeria is very important. If you situate your business in a low profile area, chances are that people that reside there will rather wash for themselves and save money. However, if you locate your business in a high profile areas like busy industrial areas with housing estates, hotels, universities etc you can be sure that if you play your cards right, you will be successful.
Capital: You can start small. To drastically reduce cost, you consider doing the following:
- Starting business from your home
- Buying just the basic washing tools and equipment (commercial washing supplies, hangers, tags, pressing irons, ironing table, packaging nylon, buckets, Basins, starch, Garment Conveyor , Stain removing chemicals etc)
- A Generator Set
- Employ one or two people
But if you want to setup a big laundry and dry cleaning business, you will need Industrial washing machines, dryer, industrial ironing board and a higher power generator. Note – The location and size of space needed for setting up a laundry and dry cleaning business is very important. So make sure there is enough space to accommodate all your equipment and clothes. Dealing with Competition: Try to situate your business far far away from competition but if you happen to set up your laundry business in an area where there are other similar services, be prepared to be unique in your service delivery. Take a survey of your competitors, figure out an aspect of their service that they are not doing a good job at. Perfect on that service and you will be exclusive.
Advertising/ Customer Care: Here are some tips that will help you get and retain your customers –
- Offer free services (if you are just starting the business)
- Use special promos – Thrill them with new offers or special promos and you have got customers for life. Promos like “wash 5 clothes for the price of 3” will draw them.
- Home delivery – Home pick up clients clothes and deliver after laundry
- Have customers ready on or before deadline
- Don’t ever get customers clothes mixed up
- Take note of your clients preferences and apply them
- Don’t be caught arguing with your customer
- Go beyond business services; get to know your customers as much as they will want to know you.
- Go the extra mile
- Fair pricing – let the rate of other laundry businesses within your area be your baseline.
- Advertise your business – hand out your business card, brochures, flyers and by word of mouth! You can also advertise on the internet via social networks like the Facebook, alibaba, linkedin, MySpace etc.
- And you can collect underwear oh and charge 5 times the normal price…(looool)